JL Audio announced the launch of a new 8-inch version of its Fathom IWS in-wall subwoofer systems. The new 8-inch Fathom IWS system joins the previous 13.5-inch driver models in the Fathom IWS lineup.
The 8-inch Fathom IWS systems feature a compact enclosure that utilizes extensive architectural techniques to improve rigidity, while maintaining a minimal footprint to facilitate installation in more applications regardless of wall construction. A unique port design vents through a slot located at the perimeter of the driver mount, to enhance efficiency and low-bass output. Inside the enclosure is an all-new, long-excursion, 8-inch thin-line woofer, designed and built specifically by JL Audio for these products. The system is driven by a rack-mountable DSP/amplifier with up to 600 watts of clean power, and programmed specifically for each system. A complete set of Fathom® signal processing features are in the amplifier, including a powerful, 18-band Digital Automatic Room Optimization (D.A.R.O.) system and a true two-way crossover with high-pass outputs, all accessible via an easy-to-use, menu-driven interface and LCD display.
Fathom IWS-SYS-108 and IWS-SYS-208 specifications include:
- Enclosure Type: Ported Enclosure
- Driver(s): 8-inch (nominal diameter)
- Effective Piston Area: 31.62 sq. in. (0.0204 sq. m.) for each woofer
- Effective Displacement: 47.5 cu. in. (0.78 liters) for each woofer
- Amplifier Power: 300W RMS short-term (IWS-SYS-108), 600W RMS short-term (IWS-SYS-208)
- Amplifier Dimensions (HxWxD): 1.75 in. x 16.84 in. x 13.63 in. (44 mm x 428 mm x 346 mm)
- Amplifier Net Weight: 13.5 lbs. (6.12 kg)
- Enclosure Dimensions (HxWxD): 61.63 in. x 14 in. x 3.25 in. (1,565 mm x 355 mm x 83 mm
- Cabinet Finish: Black Texture-Coated
- Wall Opening Dimensions (HxW): 9.75 in. x 9.75 in. (248 mm x 248 mm)
- Grille Dimensions (HxW): 10.50 in. x 10.50 in. (267 mm x 267 mm)
- Grille Finish: White (paintable)